Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday Book Club- Do You Do a Didgeridoo?



I have decided that every Tuesday I will highlight a book I use in my classroom.  If you have a clever name for this post let me know!

                                "Do You Do a Didgeridoo" 
         Written by Nick Page with illustrations by Sara Baker. 

This is a wonderful book where a customer goes into a Music Shoppe asking for a didgeridoo.  For most of the book the Music-man is adamant that he does not have a didgeridoo.  The customer continues to weave elaborate. rhyming stories of ways he can use the instrument- using ones of different colors, to serenade friends from different countries, to imitate bird sounds etc.  By the end of the book- the Music-man finds a didgeridoo in his shoppe and the customer changes his mind.

I use this book in two ways in my classroom: for s-m and for tika-ti (2 sixteenth beamed with an eighth).

So-Mi: To prep or practice s-m with first grade.  I sing most of the book on s-m and point to the students to have them join in every time it says "Do you do a didgeridoo" which is at least twice per page- sometimes more. They do their body signs or hand signs with it.  Many end up joining in on the "No we didgeri-don't" by the end as well, which I sing on all so's getting louder as the book goes on and the Music-man gets more annoyed. The students love the pictures and the story with the twist at the end.  After we read it we talk about what a "didgeridoo" might be and I show them pictures and play examples.

Tika-ti: To practice Tika-Ti I take the "No We Digeri-dont" and put it to the rhythm "ta/ ta/ tika-ti /ta/".  This usually ends up being in fourth grade for me.  We read the book with the students chiming in on the music mans words and then discover the rhythm from there OR I give them the pattern as a transition from a previous activity like "what rhythm do you hear" or flashcards and they have to find it within the first 2 pages and then join in.  I sometimes extend it to play the rhythm on instruments like xylophones, metallophones, or even non-pitched percussion, with gradually increasing dynamics as we go through the book.  Again, after we read I ask what a didgeridoo might be and play some music for them or show a video of someone playing the instrument.  Ti-ti/ tika-ti/ta/ rest/ would also work quite well.

*Note- The Tika-Ti idea was originally Tika-Tika. I found, however, that didgeri-don't was awkward to say with four fast syllables.  This year I changed it to tika-ti/ta. I got the Tika-Tika idea from a workshop but cannot remember who was leading.  Thank you if it was You! If anyone else has been to this workshop and you remember who it was let me know!

* I apologize for having to write words instead of show the rhythms.  My school computer does not have a music font.  I hope to edit at home and add in pictures of the rhythm with the words/ solfegge below.


No comments:

Post a Comment